SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1455

Robert C. Lightfoot celtcat at almatel.net
Sat Jun 26 20:25:58 PDT 1999

> The recipes,  yes, please.
> Raoghnailt
> Stan Wyrm, Artemisia
> rygbee at montana.com
>
> > Have you thought of fruit butters and cheeses? --snip--  This comes out like the commercial applets and cotlets.
> >
> > I can look up my recipes if anyone's interestes.
> > Siobhan

Here goes. These are from various cookin/preserving cookbooks I've collected over the
years.
_Your Country Kitchen_ by Jocasta Innes

Damson Plum Cheese
4 lbs. plums
1 & 1/4 c. water
Sugar

Rinse the plums, place in a kettle with the water and simmer gently until quite soft.
mashing occasionally. Strain/sieve pulp. Weigh the pulp, and measuring oput 1 & 1/2 c.
sugar to every pound of pulp -- DO NOT COMBINE YET. Put the sugar where it will stay
warm. Return the pulp to the kettle and cook very gently until thick, with no visible
liquid. Pour in the warmed sugar, stirring hard to dissolve it, then turn upop the heat
a little and continue cooking and sturring until pressing the spoon down on top of the
mixture leaves a mark. This gives a cheese a firm enough texture to be turned out of a
mold.. For a very firm, almost jellied consistency, go on cooking until a spoon drawn
across the kettle parts the mixture and the bottom shows. Turn into oiled molds and
seal/cover with a peice of wax paper pressed over the hot preserve. Cover with palstic
wrap and close. This should keep in a cool place for several months.

Cranberry Cheese
2 lb cranberries
1 quart water
4 c. sugar.

Pick over the cranberries then rinse the. Simmer the breeies in a kettle with the wter
until quite sift. Cook as for the Damson cheese, but stop at the first sppon stage. Pot
and seal.

I'll look for more of my recipes later tonight.
Siobhan