SC - Fwd: An idea brewing .....

Peters, Rise J. rise.peters at spiegelmcd.com
Tue Jun 29 13:46:41 PDT 1999

Hello!  Re: capers -- I just stumbled across this in "A Bagdad Cookery
Book" p. 22 (hope it's not a repeat):

"Here kamakh is of flowering tarragon,
Here capers grace a sauce vermilion..."

and on p. 23 it says "Eggs vermilioned after boiling"

How was this vermillioning done?  (My copy is very hard to read, & there is
no index.) Did they use kermes?  If so, is there a reference in this book
to kermes & how it is prepared?

regards,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net