SC - feast help

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Fri Jun 11 06:44:24 PDT 1999

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:36:24 +0100 "Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan)"
<Karin.Oughton at geis.ge.com> writes:
>my thought is that if it is a pearl barley casserole , you will find
>that after freezing it will serve as a giant lump rather than as a semi
>liquid casserole. Alot of pulses and grains seem to 'absorb' the liquids
>surrounding them during freezing ( I'm sure that's not scientifically
>right, but that's the effect ) and so you may have to dilute it down,
with
>the resultant effect that it is quite stodgy and the flavour balance
>changes.
>Karin

So, consider using something better than pearled barley.  Hulled barley
is closer to its original state.  It has not been run through a process
to remove the bran and germ from the grain, and cooks up with more
texture.  It would not stick together quite as much.  Even if you want to
use the pearled barley, go to a natural foods market to buy it.  The
pearled barley you get there is not as polished as the stuff in boxes at
the grocery store, and some of the bran remains.
Christianna