SC - obsession......

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Sun Jun 13 18:20:06 PDT 1999

The Quest for Bhuna Shrimp, day 1

1 pm: Elisant comes over and we set off on a quest for curry
and masala from Penzeys in Norwalk.

3 pm, we get there and curses! they are closed :-(

3:15-we see Stew Leonards, the Worlds Largest Dairy Store,
in Ripleys Believe It or Not...probably one of the strangest
shopping experiences we have ever had and rather
.......existential-yep, there is definitely a certain zen to
animatronic milk cartons.

3:30 we leave after buying a pint of heavy cream, a cup of
yogurt and a half lb of fudge. Not curry and masala...but
quite tasty[well, ok-the yoghurt is in Nanna's second
recipe]
A nice zippy drive in the country home again, jiggedy jig.

5pm: We detour to a Super Big Y to get the rest of teh stuff
for the recipe, but we forgot the tomato and got a lilac
pepper instead of a green one, but we are feeling rather
jaunty...

5:45-home sweet home, and Rob is happily burning burgers for
dinner for Any and the sprout so we heave him out of the
kitchen wjile we peel the prawns[from Bangladesh, so they
should feel right at home in curry and yoghurt!] and chop
veggies.

OK, no clue what exactly is in 'bhuna masala' the indian
subcontinents 11 secret herbs and spices...

We put in the stuff we knew what it was, and then just sort
of started adding....things that just weren't on the recipe!

asfoetida[hing], cardamom, galengale, sugar, tabasco,
sumac...it needed to be pungent and still sweet so about 1/3
of a cup of sugar ended up in it. It wasnt red enough, and
we forgot the tomatos so we pitched in some hunts tomato
sauce....

We let rob back in the kitchen to man the wok and we set the
table with lavash[well, it was fairly close to puri, in
spirit-we could mess about in the food with it and wrap the
shrimps and sauce in it] and a chance mango found in the
fruit drawer and lemonaid to drink...

Tonights consensus-

Yummy, but not exactly what she is looking for, but I have
no Idea how to recreate it!

Off to the computer and the search-bot. Enter 'bhuna' and
send it merrily off in search of the grail!
We found lots of resteraunt sites in London and envirens. We
decided it just wouldn't work to call up tor takeout, and
they won't deliver to our place, but we did find a place in
Westchester and one in Cambridge that list it on their
menus, meaning
Another Road Trip!!!!!!!

margali