SC - Re: Rendering/Tallow - was help with words

H B nn3_shay at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 15 18:53:13 PDT 1999

> Whoa. Hold evvythin'. Click. That was the sound of a vague ancient
> memory returning to the top of the pile. I recall somewhere reading
> about the process (it might have been in Mrs. Beeton) of washing
> drippings. Essentially you melt them and stir them into very hot
> water,
> and most of the schmutz goes into the water, and you can skim the
> cleaned fat off the top, or let it chill and congeal again. You can
> repeat the process until you get as much of the impurities out as you
> like.
>
> Adamantius

Sounds exactly like rendering tallow for candles -- which leads me to a
question that has been floating in my head:

What is the difference between tallow, and suet/lard?  I know tallow
can be got from various beasts, but that the resulting candles will be
more or less 'aromatic' depending on what animal the fat is from; but
is this fat a different type from suet or lard, or is it only called
tallow after rendering, or is it just that it's called something
different depending on how it's used?

- -- Harriet