SC - Soft fruit glut.

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Tue Jun 22 04:13:16 PDT 1999

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan) wrote:

> 	Folks,
>
> 	Myself and a friend are going soft fruit picking in a couple of
> weeks time , and given past experience we usually bring home a boot  (
> sorry, trunk : )   ) load of fruit, far more than we can eat in one go!
> 	We've thought of making jam, freezing, making cordials, etc.
> 	What would traditionally have been done with a glut of soft fruit to
> preserve it for the winter? Any one got any favourite recipes? The fruits we
> are looking at are strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries and  possibly
> bramble berries although I think that will almost certainly be later in the
> year given the weather conditions. If we are lucky we may also pick up some
> black and red currants.
> 	I tried trawling through the Florilegium , but couldn't find much (
> maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? )

O how I wish I could go with you! That sounds like a lovely outing!

As to traditional preserving methods, to your list I would add drying, and
fruit leathers. Both are fairly easy if you have a dehydrator or an oven
at very low temp. My kids mow through dried fruit and fruit leathers as
though they were candy.

Don't forget to make the traditional currant jellies, and I will wish I
was there to help eat them!

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
- -
'A Vaillans Coeurs Riens Impossible'
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731