SC - Soft fruit glut.

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Tue Jun 22 11:23:25 PDT 1999

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan) wrote:

> Lainie,
> How do you make fruit leathers?
> This is one of the methods I was looking for in the florilegium but failed
> to find. I'm hoping that if I can make them successfully I can wean my child
> minder off commercial candy, and onto these instead : )

I dear. I hate it when this happens.
	I haven't used the original recipe in years, and after several
moves, I don't know where it is anymore. I usually wash the fruit and cut
away any stems, etc, then run it through the blender until it makes a nice
slurry. I add a teeny bit of sugar only if the fruit is very tart- sugar
makes the juice run and changes the consistency considerably. Sometimes it
add cinnamon of nutmeg. Then I spread the glop out on a cookie sheet that
is either well-buttered or has a wax-paper lining, and set them in the
oven at @200 degrees or so. Overnight will do if they are thin, sometimes
it takes a day or two. Then I roll them up in waxed paper. I don't know
how long they last because they never do!
	I have wanted one of those food dehydrators for years, but never
managed to have the money and the desire at the same time. It would free
up my oven for more important things, like brownies!

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
- -
'A Vaillans Coeurs Riens Impossible'
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731