SC - Book opinions

Jessica Tiffin jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za
Thu Jun 24 16:35:15 PDT 1999

Bonne asked about:

Food and Feast in Medieval England ~ P. W. Hammond, Alison Sim /
Sutton Publishing / October 1997

A kind friend just gave this to me for my birthday.  It has hordes
of the most _wonderful_ pictures - reproductions of medieval
originals, not only people feasting, but  utensils, both cooking and
eating, kitchens, cooks at work, merchants selling food, etc, .  I
haven't had time to look through the text more than briefly, but it
seems to be geared more to a general cultural overview than to
specific recipes.  Lovely chapters on food sources, what was grown,
etc, and on feasts, upper and lower class eating habits, etc.

(this is a bit behind the discussion - believe it or not, a building
crane fell on our computer science building day before yesterday,
wrecking cables and email in all directions - I've just caught up two
days' worth of mail....  University life, living dangerously.
Luckily no-one was hurt).

Melisant

Melisant de Huguenin    Seneschal, Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town
(Jessica Tiffin, University of Cape Town)
Sable, three owls, wings elevated, argent, each maintaining a
willow slip vert.