SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1455

Robert C. Lightfoot celtcat at almatel.net
Sun Jun 27 15:17:39 PDT 1999

> The recipes,  yes, please.
> Raoghnailt
> Stan Wyrm, Artemisia
> rygbee at montana.com
>
> > Have you thought of fruit butters and cheeses? These are traditionally
> > made with practically any friut, esp. with softer ones like berries.

Here's a few more recipes.

_Your Country Kitchen_ by Jocasta Innes

Sweet Black Butter
You can make this from any surplus fruits [strawberry, red or black currents,
blackberries, gooseberries, etc.] in season mixed together in varying proportions. For
"blackness" the blackberry or black current should predominate slightly. This is rich
and sticky. As the fruit is so sweet, this recipes uses less sugar.

2 lb. soft fruit
2 c. sugar

Put the washed fruit intop a pan, without water, and heat gently until the juices flow,
mashing now and then with a wooden spoon. Simmer unril soft, sieve and return to the pan
and add the sugar. Stir well. Cook, stirring, until the butter is sift enough to leave a
trail. Spoon into wide mouth jars and place lids.
According to my various Governments and other contemporary canning guides, you can then
process the fruit butter for a longer shelf life. I usually don't make too much at a
time and simply refrigerate and use.

You can basically use any fruit and spiceing combo for these butters and cheeses.

>From -Preserving; The Good Cook_ series from Time-Life.

Blackberry Curd
3/4 lb. blackberries
1 ltg. cooking apple, peeled, cored & sliced
3 tbsp. strained fresh lemon juice
8 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 c. sugar
4 eggs, beaten

Palce the blackberries & apple chunks into a non-reactive pot without water, to cook
very slowly, so that the fruit is siftened and the juices are drawn out. Then puree
through a strainer or food mill, andf put the pulp in the top of a double boiler.

Add the lemopn juice, butter and sugar. Stirring occasionally, simmer very gently over
hot -- Not Boiling-- water until the sugar has dissolved. Then gradually add the beaten
eggs and contimue to simmer until the mixture thickens. Place in jars, over and chill.
Refrigerated, this can keep for up to 3 months.
Siobhan