SC - Cone History

Mon Jun 28 13:32:53 PDT 1999

> Is there a linguistic relationship between wafer and waffle? Could these
> terms have become applied to items cooked between layers of metal?
>
> Mirhaxa
>   mirhaxa at morktorn.com

Wafer derives from the Middle English wafre which comes from the Old
Northern French waufre which is apparently of Germanic origin.  Waffle
derives from the Dutch wafel.

Wafers are thin, crisp biscuits, cookies, cakes or candies.  Waffles are
battercakes cooked in or on an iron mold.  These definitions suggest that
wafers and waffles are two different classes of dish some overlap.  So, the
terms get put on the list for my next trip to the OED.

Bear