SC - Fwd: An idea brewing .....

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Wed Jun 30 19:50:29 PDT 1999

Bear wrote:

>As an "English-themed" event to you taste, may I suggest a Tunisian raid
>into southern England.  I read about one such occurrence many years ago.
>The odd encounter appealed to my sense of whimsy.
>
>Your plaint of boredom has renewed my curiosity in relocating the source of
>that tidbit.

North African (Algerian rather than Tunisian) pirates even raided a few
places in Iceland in 1627, and killed or sold into slavery in Algiers
hundreds of people, mostly from Vestmannaeyjar (off the southern coast of
Iceland). A handful of them made it back to Iceland, more than a decade
later. The vicar of Vestmannaeyjar was sent back earlier, though (to try to
get someone to ransom the captives) and he wrote a very interesting book
about the raid and his year in captivity in Algiers. A very odd encounter of
cultures indeed. A bit later than your period, I know, but still ...

This raid is one of the better-known events of our history, called "The
Turkish Raid" (why the Turks got blamed I´m not sure, probably we just had
all those heathens mixed up). 200 years later, people still feared the
Turks.

Nanna