SC - Open fire cookery

Melanie Wilson MelanieWilson at compuserve.com
Wed Jun 30 23:42:31 PDT 1999

>All in all, I would suggest a thorough study of open hearth/firepit
cookery
before attempting this type of cookery. The nuances are as varied as those
used for electric or gas ranges. Putting a kettle of stuff over an open
fire
or throwing a spit across a firepit does not come close to firepit cooking.

With the proper techniques and practice, a person can and does produce food

that is the equivalent of anything produced on a modern stove. without
resorting to the modern practice of 'barbecuing' every thing that comes
near
the open fire.

Here here. It used to be well taught here in the Guides, and I was lucky
enough to train with instructors very well versed in it for my Duke of Eds
awards.

The examiner was pretty surprised to get rack of lamb , & Zabaglioni at our
small encampment !

Anyway as Ras said it is a skill in itself , and reasonably easy to master
once you forget the get a fire burning & do your best principle, although
I'm still trying to convince my non guiding fellow re-enactors you can cook
ANYTHING on an open fire ! They often want camping gas backup...strange :)

Have you ever tried Earth ovens ? Even more fun

Mel