SC - bone soup

LordVoldai at aol.com LordVoldai at aol.com
Tue Jun 1 20:28:36 PDT 1999

stefan at texas.net writes:

> Ok, new cook question time. If I'm going to use a bone in a soup, can
>  I just put it in whole? Or should I split it some way? Do I just add
>  it to the soup? Or should I boil it in water or broth first and then
>  add the other ingredients?
there are several preperations you can use depending on the result you want.
roasting the bone(s) will give a deeper richer flavor (also makes the
difference between a brown and light beef stock).  breaking the bone will let
the marrow out faster giving more gelatin (and also more impurities) to the
stock.  get rid of the impurities by keeping the stock at a _low_ simmer and
skimming off teh scum as it forms,  a hight boil will incorporate the
impurities into the stock.  these impurities are merely non soluable proteins
and give the stock a cloudy look, nothing harmful.  the length of boiling
time depends onteh type of bone, fish bones give up their flavor faster than
poultrywhich is faster than beef bones.   a fish stock should take around
30-40 min while a beef stock simmers for around 4+ hours.

hope this helps

voldai