SC - bone soup

upsxdls at Okstate.edu upsxdls at Okstate.edu
Wed Jun 2 06:21:40 PDT 1999

Stephan,
I use a hammer to crack ham bones.  The ham has normally been cooked already and
most of the meat removed.  I throw the whole bone in with the beans.

If I'm making beef stock, I talk to my friendly butcher and ask for "bare
rendering bones" and "please cut them into 2 or 3 inch pieces."  For a dark
stock, I bake in the oven (350 deg) until they turn brown.  For a light stock,
put in your stockpot and cover with water.  I add onion, celery and carrots.
Then, bring to a simmer and cook on low overnight.  Add more water to keep bones
barely covered.  Then I strain the bones and toss.

If I'm using chicken hindquarters, I cut the backs off and use them to make
chicken stock the same way.  Skim the foam off as it forms.  Any of these stocks
can be preserved by freezing or canning.  Liandnan