SC - Re: Lamb

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Tue Jun 1 02:47:42 PDT 1999

Well, ovidae are like bovidae, every life stage and sex has a name, though they
are all sheep and cows, you just use different terms to mean different things,
sort of like a feline is a kitten for 1 year then they are a cat. My vet says
that other than foodservice, which is another can of worms entirely,
historically spring lamb is only able to be called spring lamb from birth
through weaning, then it becomes regular lamb, until it is 1 year old. Stock
lamb is from 1 year to 2 years, when it gets bred and becomes an ewe.  Ewe
following all this? Rams are lambs for the same 2 years until they get bold
enough to start challenging for the right to breed and accomplish it. I find
that stock lambs are the best eating given size and flavor, a but of muttony
taste with out being overpowering, but it is also why more people don't like
lamb and coonsider it too strong tasting[but if you sneak in a really lovely
spring lamb either as a spit roast or in a good soup, you can sometimes change
their minds] and i find a good marinade will augment the mutton taste can be
made with [and keep it a secret, it's my own recipe] 1 cup each cider vinegar,
lemon juice and olive oil, mixed with an ungodly amount of dried mint[an entire
mccormics bottle, or about 1/2 cup dry measure] 2 tbsp coarsley cracked black
pepper, 2 tbsp greek oregano, 1 bay leaf and 1 stick of cinnamon, steeped for a
week and filtered. Stud the lamb to be cooked with rosemary leaves and slivers
of garlic and let sit for at least 4 hours in the marinade, and when spit
roasting toss the stems from the rosemary and peelings from the lemon onto the
fire to smoke the roast.
margali