SC - Cooking at Faire

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Jun 4 20:50:16 PDT 1999

At 5:14 PM -0700 6/4/99, Deborah Schumacher wrote:
>Cool! :-)
>
>Has anyone done a food booth? I must admit I wonder the logistics of it. Do
>any of the major wars have period or periodish  food booths?
>Estrella had one that had hand held tarts and stuffs, they seemed pretty
>periodish and was pretty good too.  What about Pennsic or Gulf Wars?
>Just curious,

So far as I can recall, the only attempt at really period food for sale at
Pennsic was the Sated Tyger, a cookshop run largely by Marion of
Edwinstowe, that for some years produced period food with period technology
(except for the refrigerators), including two big clay ovens. Marion then
developed some serious medical problems (now mostly taken care of), and I
think Johan (who was, I believe, the other principle) decided he was tired
of losing money, so they closed down. More recently, Marion has been
running battlefield bakery, which sells periodish food at Pennsic.

Ras writes:

>my favorite
>place is The Battlefield Bakery which sells completely authentic period pies,
>tarts, and other tasty morsels.

I don't think that is correct. Some of Marion's things may be period, but
I'm pretty sure she does not have a policy of limiting herself to things
for which she has period recipes.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/