SC - Pennsic Food

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sat Jun 5 14:02:13 PDT 1999

Ok, no s**t, there I was, at my second Pennsic War (um, that would have
been #12).  I was an apprentice chef (mundanely) at the time, and had
been approached by William the Finn and others (Baron Dur was one of
them) to become a partner in the Pennsic Inn.  It was modeled loosely on
the tavern from the Sanctuary books, and even used a Unicorn's head on
the mugs.  I put money into it, and agreed to cook for the war.  I went
on a two week vacation that entailed cooking over an open campfire, with
one cooking vessel, a 4' diameter shallow dished metal 'bowl', set on
rocks over the fire.  I cooked stew for every lunch and dinner meal in
that thing.  (And rice, some bread things, scrambled eggs, etc.)  We even
went out and found two sizable stones to put in it.  (Someone brought
them back to me and gave them to me in Court once we got home, she said
she just knew I would be bereft without my valuable cooking tools!)  I
came down with a case of bronchitis out of it, and when I got home I
couldn't go back to work for a week because I was so ill.  (Boy, was my
Chef mad!)
	Anyway, this was the first year that the Satyd Tiger ran too, and we
were aware of the competition, even though I never made it out of camp
long enough to go there.  Talk about a busman's holiday!  We had
entertainment in the dining areas at night, and had a courtyard for other
activities.  I think there were even some bed spaces that were there for
drinkers who couldn't make it back to camp.  There were roughly 2,000
people in attendance at the War at that time.  We made money out of it,
but William was robbed on the way home, and ended up paying all of us our
shares out of his own money.  I did not participate the second and final
year.
	The next real cooking booth I was aware of was Pagan Sisters.  Then the
Middle Eastern place from Newcastle.  (I may have that backwards).  I am
actually glad the health department comes out and inspects the food
booths now.  I was there before it was a requirement, and am happy to see
it taken more seriously now.
	Now, I just cook in camp, where we entertain a lot.  (Like 1,000 people
or so for the average Meridian Pennsic Party.  We're not doing the
cooking for that this year, though, and I'm not singing in the choir,
either.  I am going to have help in my merchant booth, and I am getting
there early.  I may just have some honest-to-God free time this year!
Woo-Hoo!)
	Just rambling in Pennsic reminiscences and plans,
	Christianna