SC - Question on Blanc Manger

H B nn3_shay at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 10:47:01 PDT 1999

Renata,

Sorry to hear about your father.  I know little about Blanc Mange, but
I recall reading -- quite a while ago, unfortunately -- about some
people (hospital food service?) who were trying to come up with
palatable and interesting food for those with chronic difficulty
swallowing.  To get a thin gruel-type consistency, you can toss most
anything in a food processor with a little water or broth or something
and get spaghetti-puree, or chicken-cassarole-puree, or
chocolate-sundae-puree; the problem is that people quickly tire of the
lack of texture, and the uniformity of flavor when your Whopper no
longer has varying bits of burger and tomato and onion and bun but is
all a paste with the same flavor.  I think they were trying out
flavoring gelatine-based components of meals, cutting that up small,
and combining them in a smooth base to get some minimal texture and to
help seperate flavors in a combination dish.  I wish I could remember
more (like especially where I saw this!!).

I also know that when my cat wasn't eating and I had to feed him with a
syringe, the vet suggested adding tuna-water to the cat-food-puree to
make it more palatable.  There's very little more bland than baby food,
but perhaps starting with that as a base and spicing it up might be a
place to start.

Hope your father recovers quickly enough that you don't get too expert
in this area!

- -- Harriet