SC - Re: gingerbread recipe

Stephen and Stephanie Dale sdale at mx00.us.hsanet.net
Fri Jun 11 06:35:43 PDT 1999

Hi all. This recipe comes from my mother's ancient and falling apart Betty
Crocker's New Picture Cookbook from 1963. This gingerbread comes out almost
black and is wonderful, not too spicy. You could even use just plain old
white icing for the white parts, since this recipe isn't period anyway. It
dates from 1870, and was called "Fort Atkinson Gingerbread" back then.
George Washington's mother served it to Lafayette 1794 when he returned to
America, although she added a wine glass of brandy and the juice and rind of
an orange to these ingredients. (I love this cookbook because it does have
all these historical tidbits in it. I am trying to find a copy for my
younger sister who is mad because I, being the oldest, took my mother's copy
when I left home. These books go for roughly $30 on ebay, and have become
quite the collector's item!)

On to the recipe...

Fort Atkinson Gingerbread

1/2 c soft shortening
2 tbsp sugar
1 egg
1 c dark molasses
1 c boiling water
2 1/4 c flour
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon

Heat oven to 325. Grease and flour square 9x9x2" pan.
Mix together shortening, egg and sugar. Blend in molasses and water. Stir
together day ingredients, then stir into wet ones. Beat until smooth. Bake
45 to 50 min. Serve warm with applesauce or whipped cream.

I always make this at Christmas time. It also freezes well.

Aislinn