SC - curry leaves?

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Sun Jun 13 03:16:06 PDT 1999

Elysant wrote:

>In other words, the leaves assumed the name "curry leaves" because they are
>almost always used in the dishes of the two cuisines you mention.  Am I
>correct?
>
>Elysant
>trying to understand :-)

Well, that is my understanding. Another example would be savory, called
Bohnenkraut (bean herb) in German (and similar names in several other
languages). My Indian ingredients book says about curry leaves: "No southern
Indian savoury is complete without this herb. It lends it lingering aroma to
a dish but is not eaten. In fact, an old Indian saying likens a person who
is only wanted for a particular use and is discarded after this end is met,
to a curry leaf, whic enhances a dish but is eventually discarded."

And Ras said:

>Curry leaves (Murraya koenigii) which we are discussing here and the herb
>known as 'curry' are 2 different plants entirely. They are not
interchangeble
>in cookery.

Sure about that? Every book and source I´ve consulted only mentions one
herb, which is curry leaves (Murraya or Chalcas koenigii). However, my
Indian ingredients book says it can be either a shrub (or even a windowsill
plant) or a 6 meter high tree, but it is still the same plant. Curry powder
is something entirely different, of course, but that is a spice blend, not a
herb.

Nanna