SC - Fw: [Mid] Tudor Life

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Wed Jun 16 18:57:03 PDT 1999

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Alderton, Philippa wrote:

> Mordonna said:
> >They threw the pipes in the sewer?  Surely that would be a hanging offense.
> Mordonna, my dear, it would depend on what time of the AM the piper was
> piping. I know of one at Pennsic who'd start in practicing at 7 AM- he
> wasn't very good, and he wasn't too sure how the song went. I believe people
> are still discussing whether it was Scotland the Brave or Amazing Grace.
> Somehow, those pipes disappeared- no one knows, or is admitting, where, so
> the controversy continues.....

At an otherwise lovely event about four years ago, a piper fired up about
six feet from my pavilion, at somewhere around quarter to eight. AM! My
lord and I had been up late (the usual partying at Chez Elaine's) and I am
natually a nocturnal animal. I WAS NOT A HAPPY CAMPER! We lay there in
bed, thinking Evil Thoughts and discussing the possibilities of keeping a
crossbow (sans tennisballs) next to the bed for just such an emergency,
and then argued over whether it worth be worth the damage to the pavilion
wall to shoot the pipes/piper from bed, or to crawl out from under the
covers and stick the crossbow out under the doorflap. I don't remember
what conclusion we reached. But my feeling on pipes are that I love seeing
a piper on yon distant, mist-covered hill, with the notes floating in the
breeze. So long as he STAYS on yon DISTANT hill...

(been awhile since I thought about that. Long enough ago I can laugh about
it...)
'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
- -
'A Vaillans Coeurs Riens Impossible'
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731