SC - baps

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 21 15:22:45 PDT 1999

Hello the list!  The Elizabeth David recipe for baps uses a small amount of
lard as well as half-and-half milk and water.  They are known as breakfast
baps because they are so much quicker to make than bread (they're ready in
about an hour).  Apparently they were occasionally made in the stillroom
(forget where I read this bit) by the lady or an upper servant before the
main kitchen stove had got going for the day.  I _think_ David says not to
brown them (mine don't usually get to stay in the oven that long anyway).
Most baps I've had have been soft and covered in flour, the David recipe
included.  They do get stale within a couple of hours, which may be where
the notion of hardness comes from?

By the way, do the alcohol regs. mean you can't make syllabubs or port
jellies for events in the US?  And how much fruit do you have to put in the
mulled wine before it's legit?

Cairistiona