SC - Cottage cheese-OOP

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Mon Jun 21 12:40:50 PDT 1999

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Rayne and Richard wrote:

> What an idea!!!
> Rayne
> Linda Peterson wrote:
> As long as Rayne is straining anyway, couldn't she make her own. Anybody
> > have any cottage cheese recipes?

Seems to me that the Digby cheesecake recipe begins with a section on how
to make the cheese- a product very like cottage cheese or ricotta. And a
lot of our grandma's cookbooks (Fannie Farmer et al) have recipes for
'Farmer's cheese', which is basically cottage cheese.

As to the store-bought being runnier- recently it has been my experience
that the lower the fat content, the runnier the product. Doesn't taste the
same either. I've gone back to the Lucerne (Safeway brand) whole milk
cottage cheese because it tastes 'right'. And in the quantities I eat, the
little bit more milkfat won't make that much of a difference in the
overall diet. Maybe my doctor would disagree, but I think it is
negligible.

Ooh. Now I'm hungry!

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
- -
'A Vaillans Coeurs Riens Impossible'
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731