SC - BrusselsSprouts

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Jun 22 05:38:57 PDT 1999

In a message dated 6/22/99 6:31:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tamamsk at hotmail.com writes:

<< do they appear in any other sources apart from
 this. >>

I am not convinced that they are 'minces' but I have no evidence to the
contrary. :-( Another source of Brussels sprout recipes would be Apicius,
IIRC. There are also allusions to cabbage 'sprouts' in other manuscripts. I
think one of the main problems we have in identifying the various Cole
varieties in period (specifically medieval) manuscripts is the apparent lack
of specific terms for individual varieties.

For instance, cabbage 'flowers' could be broccoli or cauliflower or possible
actual flowers of cabbage. Cabbage leaves could be kale or sea kale,
collards, or the leaves from any other Cole variety. Depending on whether you
are using the first or second edition of Pleyn Delit will depend on how many
grains of salt you take. The first edition has errors which the second
edition corrected so the latter could be taken with fewer grains than the
first.

Even today it is difficult to wade through the Cole family since every one
has the same scientific name whether it be Brussels sprouts or collard
greens. Ideally the cultivar name is attached to the scientific name so you
can generally understand what is being referred but this is not always the
case. The best sources of modern information use common names for the coles
which allows you to readily identify the particular Cole being discussed.

If you have access to a variety of forms and maturities of coles, you might
try the recipe using various possible forms (e.g., cabbage leaves, sea kale,
kale, collards) when a reference is vague. The best tasting result would be
the best choice, IMO.

I hope this has not been too confusing but it does illustrate the uncertainty
regarding specific varieties used in any particular period recipe. with
regard to certain plant types.

Ras