SC - Ansteorran King's College

Stapleton, Jeanne jstaplet at mail.law.du.edu
Tue Jun 22 10:04:49 PDT 1999

"Stapleton, Jeanne" wrote:

> But you are correct about it being French. I at least gave it the proper
> French name of Rrr-O-bear instead of ROB-ert.
>
>         He did.  i was there.  I ate most of it.  :-)
>         (It was very good, my first experience with
>         Sauce Bob.)

So was this the heretical caper-butter, La Varenne version of sauce Bob, or
the medieval syrupy caramelized onion, mustard-verjuice gravy version? I
note with interest that modern versions of the sauce, such as you'll find in
sources from Escoffier and Louis Diat to Julia Child, use a recipe much more
like the medieval one than La Varenne's. Not that I'd complain about the
heretical one if it was on a plate in front of me, mind you.

Adamantius

	Ummm, caper-butter, ergo heretical.  But lovely.

	I also want to know why everyone else's Sauce Aliper
	comes out but mine never does.  *pout*

Berengaria