SC - Soft fruit glut. Fruit leather, canning, ...

H B nn3_shay at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 22 17:17:05 PDT 1999

Here are some web sites that I have found very helpful for a lot of
basic food storage references:

The National Food Safety Database: http://www.foodsafety.org/
(who says the government is totally useless?)

The National Food Safety Database: Canning, Drying, Freezing:
http://www.foodsafety.org/preserve.htm
(really good resource for those [like me] who have never done any food
preservation -- directions and explanations of how & why to do stuff --
look in Drying to get good directions for Fruit Leather, in Canning for
jams, jellies, preserves, in Freezing for freezer jams)

The Food Preservation Page: http://www.marketreport.com/preserver.htm
(notes&recipes for canning, dehydrating, food safety, etc.)

Rec.Food.Preserving FAQ:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/1962/rff1.html
(this is also a really good reference for all kinds of food
preservation info)

Mississippi State University Extension Service, Publications:
http://ext.msstate.edu/pubs/
(in general, a VAST amount of info -- want to know how to dress a deer?
start a flock of chickens? build a house? seal a leaky pond?))
Pickles, Relishes, Jellies, Jams, And Preserves:
http://ext.msstate.edu/pubs/pub220.htm
Freezing Fruits: http://ext.msstate.edu/pubs/pub663.htm
Canning Fruits & Tomatoes: http://ext.msstate.edu/pubs/pub1542.htm

New Mexico State University Extension Service, Drying:
http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_e/e-322.html

Just a start of what you can find on the web!  Good luck, and good
picking!

- -- Harriet

- --- "Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan)" <Karin.Oughton at geis.ge.com> wrote:
> Lainie,
>
> How do you make fruit leathers?
>
> This is one of the methods I was looking for in the florilegium but
> failed
> to find. I'm hoping that if I can make them successfully I can wean
> my child
> minder off commercial candy, and onto these instead : )
>
> Karin

<snip>