SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1454

Robert C. Lightfoot celtcat at almatel.net
Tue Jun 22 22:17:55 PDT 1999

> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:29:02 -0400
> From: "Kappler, MMC Richard A." <KAPPLERR at swos.navy.mil>
> Subject: SC - soft fruit glut
>
>         What would traditionally have been done with a glut of soft fruit to
> preserve it for the winter? Any one got any favourite recipes? The fruits we
> are looking at are strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries and  possibly
> bramble berries although I think that will almost certainly be later in the
> year given the weather conditions. If we are lucky we may also pick up some
> black and red currants.
>
>         cheers
>
>         Karin

Have you thought of fruit butters and cheeses? These are traditionally
made with practically any friut, esp. with softer ones like berries. The
fruit cheese are basically like an fruit butter, but they are cooked
until they are much firmer, to the point of being molded, cooled, and cut
into shapes or fingers. You could then dust with powdered suger. This
comes out like the commercial applets and cotlets.

I can look up my recipes if anyone's interestes.
Siobhan