SC - open fire bread bakeing question

Tue Jun 29 06:34:39 PDT 1999

> >Be careful of your heat source, if the
> griddle gets too hot, the heat is uneven and you will burn the bottom of
> the
> loaf, as I have done.
>
> We have but we just cut the bottom off :)
>
> Mel

I've had the temperature differential high enough to turn the bottom 1 inch
of the loaf to charcoal and leave the top unbaked.  Cutting off the bottom
does not salvage such a loaf.

Depending on the material and the shape of the bowl, coals placed on top
will reduce the temperature differential and  promote even baking.  Raising
the griddle above the base heat source helps with the burnt bottom crust.

Bear