SC - period oatmeal info

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jun 29 22:22:09 PDT 1999

Violente de San Sebastiano de la Frontera asked:
> ...I'm new to this period cooking thing, so if I may ask, is oatmeal
> period?  Trying to get a feel for what is and isn't...

I think the answer from earlier discussions here is yes, but some
oatmeal has processing that wasn't done in period such as "steel-rolled"
oats? I believe that's it.

I believe I have captured some of the discussion here on oatmeal in
this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:
rice-grains-msg   (69K)  3/ 4/99    Medieval rice and grains. Recipes. Cooking.

I think there is some info on oatmeal in bread that can be found in these
files in the FOOD-BREAD section:
bread-msg        (131K)  9/ 2/98    Medieval breads and grains.
breadmaking-msg  (186K)  4/13/99    Period bread recipes and re-creations.
flour-msg         (46K)  4/ 7/99    Types of flour. Sources. Period flour.

I think there was some discussion of griddle cakes being made of oatmeal
in this file:
breakfast-msg     (60K)  2/24/99    What's for breakfast? SCA and period.

Hope this isn't too much more than you asked for. These files are
my substitute for memory.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: