SC - Medieval Portuguese cookbooks?

Jessica Tiffin jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za
Wed Jun 30 14:02:02 PDT 1999

Greetings, the list!

Does anyone know if there are any extant medieval cookbooks from
Portugal, or describing a Portuguese period culinary tradition?  Our
shire is planning a Portuguese Explorer event (we're in Cape Town, it
seemed appropriate) and I was wondering what kind of food would fit
with the theme.  The current plan is to try for a late-15th century
feel (da Gama rounded the Cape in 1497), with an African flavour
(sweet potatoes, ostrich), but I'd love to have some actual
Portuguese dishes.

(I have had a look in the Florilegium, but didn't find anything in
the bibliography... Stefan, haven't you moved the Florilegium
recently?  I don't seem to have kept the new URL).

many thanks,
Jehanne

Jehanne de Huguenin, called Melisant  *  Seneschal, Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town
(Jessica Tiffin, University of Cape Town)
Sable, three owls, wings elevated, argent, each maintaining a
willow slip vert.