SC - Bhuna Prawn and Puri

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Fri Jun 11 12:02:32 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: snowfire at mail.snet.net <snowfire at mail.snet.net>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: 11. júní 1999 03:32
Subject: Re: SC - Bhuna Prawn and Puri

>-Poster: Elysant <snowfire at mail.snet.net>
>Also where would I get the dry-roasted spices from?  Maybe dry roast
>them myself or are they obtainable like that I wonder?

Here is another definition of bhuna (bhoona), perhaps a bit more clear:
"Bhoona is a technique that is essential to Indian cooking. The bhoona
technique means that the mixture is cooked over medium-high heat, with
constant stirring to avoid scorching, until all liquids are reduced and the
spices coat the meat like a paste. About 1/2 cup of water can then be added,
the dish covered, to create a gravy."

Two recipes: the first one seems to correspond better to the above
description - the prawns and spices are stir-fried until almost dry. The
second seems more like a Northern Indian curry. Maybe you can tweak them to
reseble the dish you were served.

Bhoona Prawn

2 tbsp oil
1 onion, diced
4-500 g (1 lb) prawns, peeled
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp chili powder, or to taste
1/2 tsp paprika powder
1 tsp garam masala

1/2 tsp turmeric
1 dl (scant 1/2 c) water
salt
lemon juice
2 tomatoes, chopped finely
a couple of green chilies, seeded and sliced very thin
2-3 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped

Heat the oil in a wok or heavy-bottomed pan and fry onion at medium heat
until tender. Add prawns and stir fry for a couple of minutes. Add garlic
and spices and stir for half a minute. Add water, and salt and lemon juice
to taste. Cover partly and simmer for 10 minutes; the mixture should be
almost dry. Add tomato, chilies and coriander leaves, mix and serve with
Indian bread and rice.

Prawn Bhoona

1 lb shrimp
1 c yogurt
1/4 c lemon juice
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp allspice
cayenne pepper to taste
salt to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, halved and sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
6 button mushrooms, halved
1 tbs bhuna masala
1 tomato, diced
2 tbs corn oil
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/4 c cilantro, chopped

Clean and devein shrimp. Make a marinade of yogurt, lemon juice, spices and
olive oil. Add shrimp and let sit for 3-4 hours in the fridge, then put them
in a pan and broil (grill) them until they are almost cooked through. Drain
and reserve juices. Heat a wok or heavy bottomed saucepan and add corn oil.
When almost smoking, add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and garlic, and stir
fry for a couple of minutes. Add reserved shrimp juices as needed, so the
mixture doesn´t dry out completely. When the vegetables are almost done, add
tomato, cilantro and shrimp. Lower the heat and stir fry for a couple of
minutes more.

Nanna