SC - Bhuna Prawn and Puri

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jun 11 19:55:09 PDT 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/11/99 11:53:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> nannar at isholf.is writes:
>
> << Also where would I get the dry-roasted spices from?  Maybe dry roast
>  >them myself or are they obtainable like that I wonder? >>
>
> Most India type recipes (and other cuisines as well) specify that you roast
> the spices before grinding or adding them. This is usually accomplished by
> simply putting them in a small pan on the stove burner or, less often, by
> putting them in the oven. Roasted spices, per se, are not often offered on a
> retail level, so far as my experience has been.

Yeah, you're better off roasting them yourself. Spices tend to contain
volatile oils that are released by the roasting, but once roasted, can
become rancid or stale quickly. Bulk spices tend to be sold without any
type of roasting to prolong their shelf life and maintain a certain
amount of flavor and aroma. The only exception I can think of to Ras's
statement about not being able to buy comercially roasted spices are
probably commercial curry powders (pfeh!) and the various curry pastes
(better, but generally too salty).

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy