SC - curry leaves?

David Dendy ddendy at silk.net
Sat Jun 12 09:37:12 PDT 1999

>I´m not sure why they are called curry leaves but it comes from  Hindi,
>where they are called kari phulia or karipatta. Indonesian daun salam is
>rather similar and can sometimes be used as a substitute.
>
>Nanna

The reason is concealed within the name. Curry (or "kari") did not
originally mean "spice mixture", as it does to westerners today, but "stew".
It was the British who took home the idea of a spicy stew, and started
calling a standardized spice mixture "curry powder". (No self-respecting
Indian cook would use the same spice mixture in all dishes, or buy it
ready-made and losing flavour in a jar) So curry leaves are called that
because they are used in curries ("stews"), not because they are a
substitute for the so-called curry powder.

Francesco