SC - OT, OOP chocolate-potato truffles was Citron and Potato

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 13 13:10:34 PDT 1999

> >I have one for a choclate "truffle" which I once used to take the prize
>in a
> >"best secret ingredient" cooking contest.  The surprising part was the
> >number of people who ate the candy, and liked it, then made horrible
>faces
> >and changed their opinion after hearing what the secret ingredient was!
>
>      The recipe!  The recipe!  (please).

Ok, here it is, finally.  bonus recipe included for my tardiness
- --Bonne

from "Potatoes" by Sue Kreitzman, Harmony Press 1989

Chocolate-Potatoe Truffles

2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1.5 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or Cointreau
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/4 cup cooked, peeled and riced baking potatoes
1 cup confectioners' sugar
Unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa

1. melt the chocolates and butter, remove from heat and cool slightly
2. Stir in the orange brandy or liqueur and the egg yolk.
3. Thouroughly stir in teh remaining ingredients, except the cocoa
4. Chill for 1 hour
5. roll chocolate mixture into balls of about 3/4 inch in diamer.  Toss each
ball in the cocoa powder. Store truffles in the refrigerator, but leave at
room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.

Chocolate-Potato Torte

5 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 egg yolks
1 teaspoon orange extract
2 cups hot mashed potatoes (instant works fine)
Whipped Cream (optional)

(my own variation noted with "*")

1. line a 4 cup shallow baking dish with parchment paper *or line a loaf pan
with slices of pound cake-Bonne*
2. melt the chocolate with the coffee in the tp of a double boiler over
simmering water.
3. Cream the butter with an electric mixer, beat in the sugar, then the
yolks, 1 at a time.  Beat very well.
4. Beat in the chocolate-coffee mixture and the orange extract, then the
potatoes.
5. Spread the mixture in the prepared dish.  smooth the top and cover with
waxed paper *more pound cake slices*
6. refrigerate for 24 hours, then serve cut in thin slices, with whipped
cream, if desired.