SC - help with words-OOP

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jun 14 09:22:00 PDT 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/14/99 10:01:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> PRIDEelectric at centuryinter.net writes:
>
> << So from this explanation the recipe wants "white dripping."  Is my modern
>  substitution Crisco???
>
>  Rayne >>
>
> Rendered bacon fat would be my personal choice, followed by rendered salt
> pork then lard and finally Crisco. BUT the flavor of the article will be
> better and more closely resemble 19th century food flavors if you go with the
> meat fats instead of the vegetable shortenings.
>
> Ras

Whoa. Hold evvythin'. Click. That was the sound of a vague ancient
memory returning to the top of the pile. I recall somewhere reading
about the process (it might have been in Mrs. Beeton) of washing
drippings. Essentially you melt them and stir them into very hot water,
and most of the schmutz goes into the water, and you can skim the
cleaned fat off the top, or let it chill and congeal again. You can
repeat the process until you get as much of the impurities out as you like.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com