SC - Faire Food--the Menus (long)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jun 14 14:28:03 PDT 1999

MAGGIE SECARA wrote:

> Thank you!  I'm afraid I was a little startled by Cariadoc's statement, but
> being at work, and a Friday afternoon, I couldn't do much more than take it.
> When I got home, the first thing I did was look up that date, and I felt
> better but still a little picked-on. It just seemed strange to me that
> Cariadoc would be wrong about something so simple. Maybe it's the Faire
> thing that set him off.  Oh well.
>
> Anyway, thanks for riding to the rescue.
>
> Cheers!
>
> MaggiRos

My pleasure. I prefer to think of it, though, as memory-challenged, a
difficulty I often have myself. I write things down, or read them out of
books, so I don't _have_ to remember them!

As for the picking-on thing, I don't really think it was anybody's
intention to do that. Some of us pursue this game/hobby with a little
more academic intensity than others, is all, and we've gotten into some
pretty good arguments, too, but it's all been either academic
disagreement or argument for its own sake, but never personal, as far as
I can tell.

One view of the role of periodicity in this game is that we can learn
the most about how things were done in period by following the
instruction manual ;  ), i.e., the primary sources, as closely as we
can. That's not the only way, but it's surely a good one. Obviously,
using sources and ingredients (c'mon, you know what I mean) from period
is a fine way to do this.

Some would (and do) argue that there is so much more to be learned by
playing the game this way, as to make other methods unthinkable. For
them. That is, of course, a personal choice. Among mine, I include the
choice to give people the benefit of the doubt in cases where I feel
inclined to be offended. It saves time, if nothing else ;  ) . Thanks
fer the menus, BTW!

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy