SC - Art/Sci results

Wed Jun 16 04:22:20 PDT 1999

> The holes left as
> the suet melts are similar to those left by bubbles of carbon dioxide from
> baking powder (cooking soda etc).  Please enlighten me if my science is
> wrong here!!
>
> Jean le Renaud de Pyranees

The similarity is they are voids.  The aeration of a leaven leaves no
residue (other than alcohol, which cooks off) since it is physically part of
the dough.  Fats used in bread making tend to be very soft or liquid as
doughs have a tendency to absorb these, which is why tins are best greased
with a solid.  Less absorption during the second rise, less sticking to the
tin.

Solid fat inclusions in a dough tend to melt during baking and are partially
absorbed.  Any fat remaining coats the inside of the void and provides some
rigidity on cooling.  I would expect the result to be denser than a good
yeast leavened bread, but not as dense as a sourdough, and to be a
comparatively soft to most breads.

It's an interesting technique to be tucked away in the notebook for future
experimentation.

Bear