SC - Re: Baps

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jun 18 20:20:39 PDT 1999

snowfire at mail.snet.net wrote:

> -Poster: Elysant <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>
>
> >IIRC, there is a recipe in English Bread and Yeast Cookery (said copy is out
> >of reach in the auto).  I think it has a noble lineage from the manchet
> >served for breakfast in the 16th Century.
>
> Would you please post more on the bap "lineage" to this list M'lord?
>
> Elysant

Hmmm. I understood baps to be originally of Scots origin. I wonder if
the connection is more one of usage than of actual evolution? Certainly
a bap is a rich, white, small loaf eaten at breakfast, but I'm not sure
what connection as to the ingredients, the name, etc., exists.

Anyway, FWIW, I happen to have a couple of Scots baps recipes, one of
which seems almost a buttermilk biscuit (as in American biscuit), but
another of which seems to be rolls rather similar to what Americans
might call "milk bread" or "enriched white bread". Almost all the bap
recipes I've seen involve some butter or other fat, and milk, fresh or
sour, or buttermilk, so, as previously discussed, I suspect a hard
crusty roll from this type of dough would be pretty much impossible.
Anyway, here's one such recipe:

"BAPS

Baps are the traditional morning roll of Scotland. They seem to appear
only on the breakfast table and are best eaten warm from the oven.

Makes 8

1 lb strong plain white flour (3 1/2 -4 cups)
a pinch of salt
1 oz. fresh yeast (1 cake compressed yeast)
1 level tsp caster sugar
1/2 pint (Imp.) milk and water mixed (1 1/4 cups)
2 oz. lard (1/4 cup)
a little extra flour

Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Warm the milk and water then stir
in the yeast and water so they dissolve.

Rub the lard into the flour, then make a well in the center, pour in the
yeast liquid and mix the ingredients together to form a dough. Turn the
dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for 5 minutes untl smooth.

Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover it with oiled polythene
and leave the bowl and leave the dough in a warm place to prove. It
should have doubled in bulk in 30 minutes. Turn the dough onto a lightly
floured surface and knead it back to its original size, then cut it into
eight and knead each piece into a round. Flatten the rounds with a
rolling pin and place them on floured baking trays. Leave the trays in a
warm place to prove for about 15 minutes.

Brush the surface of each with water and dust with flour, then bake the
baps at Gas 7/425 degrees F/220 degrees C for 15 - 20 minutes or until
golden brown. Cool on wire tray."

>From "A Feast of Scotland", copyright 1979 Janet Warren, published 1986
by Treasure Press, London

Adamantius