SC - Fruit conserves ( was fruit glut)

Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan) Karin.Oughton at geis.ge.com
Thu Jun 24 06:44:07 PDT 1999

	Folks ,

	in my quest for things to do with our planned friut glut, I've come
across an interesting fruit 'sweet' or conservation method, which seems to
be traditional in the south of France. It's claimed to date from way back,
but doesn't give recipes or documentation.

	Has any one heard of these?

	Basically, the fruit seems to have been saturated with sugar, until
it attains an almost tough jelly like state ( jelly bean rather than jello )
, sometimes it is then shaped into small fruit shapes, other times it still
seems to be the basic fruit. The texture is still quite 'solid' which seems
to me that the fruit hasn't been pureed and reformed, but that it is done by
a similiar method to candying peel.

	Any ideas if this is period?

	karin