SC - RE smalls - OT OOP

Rayne and Richard PRIDEelectric at centuryinter.net
Thu Jun 24 06:43:30 PDT 1999

First off let me say that I am a parent and a grandmother.  (my sister was
flamed terribly on the Rialto a few years ago with this same topic, so I do not
want to "get in to it")  But in answer to your question (honestly) I did call my
children "midgets or miniatures" when they were little.  Where I lived the term
"little people" was used for people who grew to adulthood under normal height.
Midget or miniature was anything smaller than the original.  i.e.. midget racing
(smaller cars), miniature golf (small course), etc.
After I returned to the States I had someone tell me that the word was
Terrible.  Oh, well to each their own opinion.   My children  lived  through
it.  No visible scars and I checked for invisible ones.  I continued to call the
boy "midget" after he was over 6 feet tall.  It is how and why (with tone and
inflection) as well as the word that can cause problems.  But usually I just
called them "children".

Rayne