SC - vermillion

lilinah at grin.net lilinah at grin.net
Tue Jun 29 18:26:31 PDT 1999

Ras rote:
>I have no idea BUT it is in keeping with the Arabic derivation of the word.
>The word kermess is directly derived from the Arabic qirmiz. The meanings are
>identical in the they both refer to the scale insect that lives on the
>Mediterranean oak and is used to make red dye. Since the big red food
>coloring scare and subsequent banning of certain types there has been a
>return to red dyes made from scale insects in the current middle ages and
>these culinary dyes are derived for the most part from insects.

Indeed, and this may be of interest to vegetarians, as cochneal, which is
similar to kermes, is used to color some flavors of Snapple (stuff i don't
drink cuz it's too sweet, but friends of mine do). If I recall correctly,
it's used in something like Mango-Cranberry or some such.

Do read your lables - i'd guess if you're a vegetarian you don't want to
eat insect derived dyes.

Anahita Gaouri bint-Karim al-hakim al-Fassi