SC - Fwd: An idea brewing .....

Wed Jun 30 21:43:20 PDT 1999

> This raid is one of the better-known events of our history, called "The
> Turkish Raid" (why the Turks got blamed I´m not sure, probably we just had
> all those heathens mixed up). 200 years later, people still feared the
> Turks.
>
> Nanna

Tunis, which was the primary port of the North African corsairs, was a part
of the Ottoman Empire from 1534 to 1881, when it was ceded to the French.
It was sacked by the Geonese in 1535 and captured by the Spanish in 1573,
who lost it back to the Ottomans the following year.  The Ottomans
effectively controlled North Africa from 1569 on.  Ergo, Turks.

Bear