SC - Food Grade?

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Wed Jun 2 08:03:51 PDT 1999

Hi all from Anne-Marie

Christianna asks us:At 10:49 AM 6/2/99 -0400, you wrote:
>	I have a question for the oh-so-knowlegable assemblage.  I am trying to
>define the term "Food Grade".  I wouldn't think it was so hard, but so
>far, I'm having no luck.  We have discussed the regulations about how
>many bug parts per million and the GRAS list, but I can't seem to narrow
>in on what Food Grade means.

as far as I know, "food grade" means a substance made in compliance with
the regs for foodstuffs, ie no wierd extracting processes, the facilities
needs to be up to spec, cant have sprayed the plants with certain
chemicals, etc.

This is especially applicable in spices and such...some places, like
Tsingtsingmomo here in Seattle, sell stuff for incense and such and so
their stuff isnt neccessarily foodgrade. not that it will definately kill
you, but still something to keep in mind.

the same applies to gelatins, gold leaf etc...sometimes its made for food
and sometimes its not. I understand that the non food grade gold leaf can
be cut with all kinds of nasty metals.

- --AM