SC - Larding venison

Ben Engelsberg bengels at chronic.lpl.arizona.edu
Wed Jun 2 16:31:59 PDT 1999

I just stumbled on a relatively brilliant, though non-period method for
larding venison and other dry meat.

For those who hate using a larding needle, check this out:

Take a couple thick slices of salt pork, bacon, or other fatty meat (about
3/16" thick). Cut it into wedges a couple of inches long, and 3/4" wide at
one end, and tapered to a point at the other.  Put the pieces laid out on
a heavy plate, and put the plate in your freezer.  Freeze the snot out of
the larding, make sure that it is HARD frozen.  Then, make small holes in
your roast with a sharp knife, and shove the larding in like a nail.  Cap
with slivers of garlic, if you are so inclined.  You should use about 1
piece of larding for every 2" square of surface area.

This worked wonderfully for me a couple of nights ago.  I did not find an
original credit for this method, but the recipe it came with looks like it
came from SOAR.