Dirty Rice OOP- was Re: SC - food for ill kids

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jun 13 21:03:03 PDT 1999

"Alderton, Philippa" wrote:

> "Dirty Rice" is an actual Louisianna dish, Cajun I think, which is served as
> a side dish. I've never made it, but I think it has chicken livers and
> onions in it.

My mom (mother of the UUY, in other words, Phlip) used to make dirty
rice every Thanksgiving. I don't think we had stuffing on Thanksgiving
until I was 18 or so. Now _that_ was exotic. Anyway, my mom's version
was probably pretty wimpy by Cajun standards: basically a rice pilaf
cooked in giblet stock with the chopped, finely cooked giblets to dirty
it up a bit.

I think the only recipe I have written down is from Betty Fussell's "I
Hear America Cooking".

"CAJUN DIRTY RICE"

<intro snipped; I don't buy her overly complex reasoning about the
origins of the dish>

" 3/4 lb chicken gizzards
3 1/2 cups hot chicken or beef broth
2 Tbs chicken, pork, or bacon fat
4 Tbs butter
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 cup each chopped onions, celery, green bell peppers,
	and green onion tops
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp salt
1 tsp each black pepper and paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or dash Tobasco
1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
1/2 pound chicken livers, minced

Simmer gizzards in broth for 20-30 minutes remove with slotted spoon,
and grind or chop fine. Heat fat and half the butter (2 Tbs) in a heavy
casserole. Saute the pork and gizzards over high heat until browned.
Lower heat, add vegetables and seasonings, and cook until vegetables are
wildted, about 5 minutes. Add rice and reserved broth, bring rapidly to
a boil, stir once, cover, and lower heat. Simmer 15 minutes.

Saute minced chicken livers in remaining butter for only 2 - 3 minutes
(they should still be faintly pink). Toss with the rice, taste for
seasoning, and adjust. Cover and let rice fluff in a low (225 degree F.)
oven for 10 minutes (the rice becomes very moist with the addition of
the vegetables).

Serves 4-6 as a main dish."

Now I don't know how much of this an ailing child will pack away, but
it's one of _my_ favorites.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy