SC - SC re: bread and dripping

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Mon Jun 14 08:09:26 PDT 1999

- -Poster: Elysant <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

In Britain "bread and dripping" is an old-fashioned snack type of meal.  I
don't know how old the practice is, but I think it might be more prevelant in
the North.  Beef dripping is the usual thing used, and because of the chance of
it "going off" - it's only supposed to be eaten in a month with an R in it,
when there are lower temperatures.  The dripping is kept intact in the bottom
of the pan the beef was cooked in, allowed to set, then the fat layer is
scraped off, and the underlayer of condensed juices etc, with a little of the
fat layer is spread thinly on a crust of bread.

(It's delicious BTW)

Is this familiar to anyone else?

Elysant