SC - REC : ALMOND CAKE

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Tue Jun 15 13:54:34 PDT 1999

- --part1_4223747b.2498178a_boundary

I am passing this along from my Jewish NG.  It isn't period, but we are
always using almonds...so enjoy...
Phillipa
 As they say in Yiddish :
 Es lost zikh esn (it's very tasty, it lets itself be eaten)

 ALMOND CAKE
 Source Betty Bossi's cooking / Switzerland.

 3 greased mini loaf pans or
 1 about 30 cm long coverd with baking paper

 3 Tsp honey
 100 gr  almonds cut in short sticks
 6 egg whites
 1 pinch of salt
 180 gr sugar (I reduced it to 150, next time I will use even less)
 1 tsp vanilla sugar (I used 3 drops of vanilla essence)
 5 drops of bitter almonds aroma
 3 yolks, mixed with small amount  of water
 50 gr of ground almonds
 125 gr flour
 125 gr melted margarine or butter (wait until cold)

 Pour the honey and cover with coarsly crushed almond sticks in the loaf
 pans.
 Refrigerate.
 Mix the egg whites with a pinch of salt, add half amount of sugar and
 continue mixing until you obtain a shiny mass.
 Add the rest of sugar, the vanilla sugar, the almond aroma and the yolks,
 mix delicatly.
 Add the powered almonds and the flour, and slowly  the melted margarine,
 mixing slowly with a plastic spatula.
 Put the mixture in the cake molds and bake in the middle rack  at 160 deg
 celcius about 35 minutes.
 For an english cake mould of 30 cm, increase cooking time to 45 minutes

- --part1_4223747b.2498178a_boundary

I baked those tiny cakes with my Esthy this afternoon.

[...]

ONElist:  the best source for group communications.
http://www.onelist.com
Join a new list today!

- --part1_4223747b.2498178a_boundary--