SC - Art/Sci results

John johnlfox at pnc.com.au
Wed Jun 16 03:36:56 PDT 1999

Have just autocrated my Cooks' Guild master feast for which I had to cook at
least two dishes.  I cooked roast lamb in the French fashion and Cambridge
pudding.  Cambridge pudding is a suet pudding, had to make a special request
for the butcher to keep some suet for me.  The suet I used had minimal
membranes which I discarded on preparation.  I grated the suet using a metal
'box' grater and mixed it into the dough.  My belief is that the suet gives
a light pudding by melting as the rest of the dough cooks, some is absorbed
into the dough and some boils out into the cooking water.  The holes left as
the suet melts are similar to those left by bubbles of carbon dioxide from
baking powder (cooking soda etc).  Please enlighten me if my science is
wrong here!!

The feast (Elizabethan Yule Feast) was a big success with about 36 attending
(a large number for our small isolated shire, but makes for a nice intimate
feast).

Jean le Renaud de Pyranees
Shire of Dismal Fogs