SC - General maundering plus suet

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 16 16:49:16 PDT 1999

Hello the list!

>Regular cheese is nothing but spoiled milk anyway and can't get any
>     more spoiled than it is already.
>     Cheddar cheese is spoiled when you think it is blue cheese but you
>     realize you've never purchased that kind.

Hm.. Reminds me of the time I went off to visit my parents who were then
living in Taiwan, leaving 4 happily maturing camemberts in the back of the
fridge (my first attempt at making anything other than cheddar).  I came
back to discover that my husband had been extra thoughtful and cleaned the
fridge for me, including composting the cheeses - they were growing mould!

><< "The Boston Cooking School CB", by Mrs. D.A. Lincoln, 1884 >>
>I have this book. It is wonderful. :-)

Snigger.  I bought mine at a school fete for less than the cost of a packet
of stationery.

>The few times I've done this is by rendering out. In other words, you fry
>the suet until it's small hard lumps, then throw away (or feed to the dog,
>your choice) the lumps and save the melted fat. Put the fat in the
>refrigerator to harden. Either chop into bits (which it calls for in my
>Cambridge pudding recipe) or remelt if needed.

I grate suet - then there are hardly any lumps left if you're rendering, and
this is also what I was taught to use for suet puddings.  By the way, not
all the impurities sink to the bottom.  There's a dust-like kind that foils
all attempts to strain it, and rises to the surface every time, so I do
scrape the top as well as the bottom after clarifying for soap.  Whenever I
buy a whole sheep (frequent in Australia, never in South Africa) I set aside
that whole day, if possible, to chop it into manageable bits (as opposed to
what the butcher thought was manageable), remove all the fat, render and
clarify it.  FWIW, I do this when there's no-one else around because the
smoke from the fat tends to get on people's nerves.  Thinking of whole
sheep, I wonder why the butcher only ever gives you the striated muscle meat
when you order one, even if it's chopped up? Anyone else notice this?

Anyway, lots of love from the land of
no-food-at-all-because-we've-got-a-^&%$-dioxin-crisis-on-our-hands Belgium

Cairistiona