SC - "Smalls" are not underwear in period

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Jun 25 15:56:39 PDT 1999

In a message dated 6/25/99 12:04:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com writes:

<< I seem to have stirred up some discussion here on the use of SCA terms for
 children by mentioning the current, now waning firestorm on the Ansteorra
 list.  >>

As with any language the term used means what ever the current speakers want
it to mean. Language changes and the people who most often object have fallen
into the chronic Webster syndrome. A dictionary which, BTW, doesn't have the
perfectly legitimate "f" word in it even in it's most modern form, SFAIK).
Linguists and English majors often object loudly to the use of certain words
when only a cursory listen to the conversations around them would expand
their command of the language dramatically Personally, I use whatever terms I
feel are appropriate at the time. When I use them, people who are listening
are completely aware of the meaning I attach to the words. This is my way of
speaking the English language.

Personally, I am offended by the term child which is quote : [Middle English,
from Old English cild; akin to Gothic kilthei womb, and perhaps to Sanskrit
jathara belly]. And if I had any rugrats, I would be particularly offended to
have anyone calling them children (e.g. wombs or bellies). My sister is very
offended when her smalls are called 'kids' having had a particular nasty run
in with a goat when she was a younger person.

As you see, being offended by peculiar usage of nothing more than 'words' is
absurd.

Sooooo...having said that I shall endeavor to continue refraining from adding
anymore wombs or bellies to the already over populated planet, maintain my
kewl, try to achieve the state of Yo, stay groovie and peck at my 'puter. ;-)

Ras